HTS is thrilled to be exhibiting at the 2015 APTA National Student Conclave in Omaha, Nebraska! In anticipation of the conference, we’ve put together a list of tips for getting the most out of your conference experience, whether it’s this event or a future state or national conference:
- Before the event, determine what you hope to gain from the conference. The APTA has compiled a fantastic website for the event and the programming information can be found at http://www.apta.org/NSC/Programming/. Upon reviewing the available options, prepare a schedule for yourself based on topics that are most relevant to your studies and most beneficial to your professional development.
- If you need to document your conference attendance for class credit or CEU’s, be sure to find out in advance what is required so that you can get the necessary credit for participation. Also, you might find it beneficial to develop a strategy to organize and catalogue the notes and handouts from programs after the event.
- Contrary to popular belief, you can use your time in the exhibit hall for more than just gathering the free stuff! The exhibit hall presents a fantastic opportunity to learn more about your profession and network with future employers. Since you’ve already determined what you hope to gain from the conference, now you can review the list of exhibitors and figure out which booths would be most advantageous for you to visit.
- Should you decide to use your time at the conference to network with future employers, you might find it useful to pack business cards or address labels with your contact information to share with your new contacts. This will allow you to spend more time connecting and less time writing your contact information.
- You’ll likely only have a few moments with each potential employer so prepare a few questions in advance. Some suggestions:
- In which setting does your company work?
- Where are your job opportunities and do you offer relocation assistance?
- Do you offer any mentorship for newly licensed therapists?
We hope you find these tips helpful and looking forward to seeing you at State and National conferences throughout the year! Be sure to stop by the HTS Booth #519 and talk with Jessica Bashir and Holly Skidmore!
Jessica Bashir is the College Recruiter for Healthcare Therapy Services. Jessica manages collegiate relationships and educates and consults with physical, occupational and speech therapy students prior to entering the work force. Additionally, Jessica connects students looking for clinical field work in one of HTS’ 100+ clinical sites. Look for her at a networking event near you! You can reach her via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (800) 486-4449 ext. 134